To ease up your job a lot many regression testing tools are available in the markets that ensure the smooth running of regression test cases. But out of hundreds of tools available, which one to choose is a big question mark.
In this article, We are going to list the top 17 regression testing tools for automated regression testing. It contains both paid and open source free regression testing tools. These tools are the smooth running of regression test cases and save a lot of time in test execution.
Why should regression testing be automated?
Regression testing is for existing functionality, it requires constant repetition. Every release cycle should include a fair amount of regression testing to ensure that no new development causes bugs or breaks.
When regression testing is automated, it allows for checks into a variety of changes and frees up testers to conduct manual exploration into more unusual cases in the production environment. Not all regressions are caused by new features or the consequences of routine bug fixes. They can also be caused by database updates or new browser versions, in the case of a web app. Regression can also be an issue with efficiency and speed. Automating those cases which are stable and repeatable allows manual testers to spend more time on testing various environments and for merging more complicated cases together at a higher level.
Regression Testing Tools
Here are some of the popular regression testing tools which are popular among Regression Testers.
- Ranorex Studio
- IBM Rational Functional Tester
- Silk Test
- QA Wizard
- AdventNet QEngine
- Regression Tester
TestComplete allows you to create and maintain automated regression tests across web, mobile and desktop applications. It will enable you to quickly create automated GUI tests in one browser and run them in a parallel environment.
- Data-Driven Testing
- Keyword-Driven Testing
- Automated Test Reporting & Analysis
- Easy to create one automated GUI test for multiple browsers
- It supports desktop, web and mobile apps.
- Integrates with other tools
- Test Visualizer
- Object name mapping
It helps automate functional testing of web applications. Sahi Pro by default supports web application and REST API automation. Sahi Pro can assist you to test Web, Mobile, Java applications and Windows Desktop.
Sahi works well with agile development environments. It is a tester focused automated regression testing tool.
- Simple and powerful APIs
- Object spy and recorder
- Inbuilt Excel framework
- Automatic logging and reporting
- Parallel and distributed playback
- Continuous integration
- Test any iOS and Android, Native and Hybrid Applications
- Test any browser on any operating system
- Test any Windows desktop applications
Ranorex Studio is a powerful automation tool that accelerates regression tests for desktop, mobile, and web. Ranorex Studio is easy for beginners with a codeless click-and-go interface and helpful wizards, but powerful for automation experts with a full IDE.
- Data-driven and keyword-driven testing.
- Integrates with tools like Jira, Jenkins, TestRail, Git, Travis CI, and more.
- Ranorex has Recorder unit to create testing scripts
- Supports test activity management
- easy-to-read test reports that are fully customizable
- It can be run at night, in parallel or distributed on a Selenium grid.
Selenium is an open-source (free) automated testing suite to test web applications. It is one of the best-automated regression testing tools for web application testing. It supports different platforms and browsers.
- Selenium offers high flexibility
- Compatibility with Several Web Browsers
- Supports Numerous Programming Languages
- Ease of Webpage Navigation
- Ease to Categorize and Use Web Elements
- Better Handling of Dynamic Web Elements
It is an open-source Ruby library for automating tests. Watir (pronounced as water) is a short form for Web Application Testing in Ruby. It allows you to write tests that are easy to read and maintain. It supports many apps developed in different technologies.
- It’s a free Open Source tool.
- Light-weight and easy to use tool
- Cross-platform OS support
- Technology independent
- Supports on Ruby Language.
- It supports multiple browsers on different platforms.
TestDrive is an automated software quality (ASQ) solution that lets you do automated regression testing rapidly. It lets you come up with dynamic, flexible and easy deployable tests.
- Code-free test automation
- Modular scripts
- Reduced testing time
- Easy to handle changes in the application
- Allows human input
- Supports multiple technologies and interfaces
- Useful for testing browser apps, legacy apps, and GUIs.
- Also, supports manual testing.
IBM Rational Functional Tester: Silk Test
IBM RFT is a data-driven testing platform for functional and regression testing. RFT has a unique feature called Storyboard testing in which users’ actions on AUT are recorded and visualized in a storyboard format through application screenshots.
- Built over script assure technology
- Supports visual editing
- Test scripting
- Earlier data detection
- Assimilation with other software
- Radical Script Assure technology
- supports a wide range of apps such as .Net, Java, SAP, Flex, and Ajax.
SilkTest was formally known as Borland Silk Test. It supports for regression, cross-platform, and localization testing of all mobile application types, including mobile web, mobile native, and hybrid applications
- Enhanced testing speed
- Uses cloud
- Supports unlimited user configuration
- Centralize test automation
Serenity BDD is an open-source library that helps you write higher quality automated regression and acceptance tests faster. It keeps account tests executed and the requirements they were tested for.
- Write tests that are more flexible and easier to maintain
- Works well for non-web tests
- Creates illustrated, narrative reports
- Check how much of your application is actually being tested
- No time wastage in constructing and keep tabs on project progress
TestingWhiz is a code-less automated regression testing tool. It offers you end to end testing of Database, Web, Mobile, desktop apps, API and Cloud. It is built on the Flexible Automation Scripting Technology Automation Engine.
- Possesses codeless architecture
- Fast automation engine
- Supports continuous integration very well
- Object eye internal recorder and a visual recorder
- The dynamic test data support
- Robust reporting and logs
- Inbuild job schedule
QA Wizard automates functional and regression testing of web, Windows, and Java applications, and load test web applications. It comes with resource management, full scripting, and debugging capabilities.
- Complete IDE for scripting
- Very Flexible
- Works well with heavy loads
- Test Track to manage test cases and to manage script execution.
- Requires no Environment Reboots & Reloads
- Supports all platforms & operating systems
- Requires no Code Modifications
- Compatible with Active Directory and Kerberos
- Compatibility with Total Application & Database
TimeShiftX is a time shift regression testing tool. It allows applications to travel in the past or future to help you perform temporary or date simulating testing.
QEngine can be used for regression testing of web applications. It is an extensive, platform-independent automation testing tool.
- Easy to use UI.
- Supports IE and FF browsers.
- Parameterization to support dynamic values
- Event Recording and distributed playback support
- Virtual user simulation
- Session tracking
- Server monitoring capability
Screenster is a cloud-based platform for UI testing automation. It is primarily used for visual regression testing of web applications and websites.
- Smart record-playback-verification
- can run on a local server or on the cloud
- Reusable tests and test steps.
- Automatic verification of content.
- It uses a concept of UI baselines that store UI screenshots and the snapshots of its DOM structure.
Regression Tester is a desktop tool introduced by Info-Pack.com that lets you do the regression testing of the web-based applications remotely. It allows you to conduct remote testing of web-based applications. This tool has won many awards for its software testing capabilities.
- Saves the time spent on testing
- Ensures that all parts (forms/pages) of the web app are working fine
- Re-run the automated tests any number of times
- Automatically runs the test and generates a professional report
- Fully customizable reports.
- Easy to create a list of tests
Webking is an all-inclusive regression testing tool by Parasoft. It supports the automation testing of web services. It can help you in testing and installing dynamic Web sites.
- Ensures that the designated user paths are running correctly.
- Uses a path creator browser to record and generate the application
- Supports various data sources like .csv, excel, databases, webking’s internal tables.
- It uses C/C++ and Java testing techniques to detect errors in a website
- Integrates with Parasoft group reporting system
- Supports automated code review
An ideal automated regression testing tool that suggests relevant or affected test cases after a feature enhancement/bug fix. Testsigma lets you run regression tests right after the first check-ins, automatically, within a sprint.
- Easy scriptless testing in plain English.
- Periodical executions without manual intervention.
- Generate detailed reports on multiple device configurations at the same time.
- Centralized object repository to easily track and rectify locator issues.
- Prioritized test runs with custom filters
- Integrations with CI/CD tools, Jenkins, JIRA, Slack, etc.
- gives the flexibility to write custom functions, define prerequisites for regression test suites.
There are many Regression Testing Tools available in the market and a few of the important tools are mentioned in this article. The best regression testing tool for your needs completely depends on your requirement and budget.
If you are looking to dig into our latest posts then check out our blog page.